Thoughts on the Monterey weekend

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Thoughts on the Monterey weekend
From: "Dick Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 11:05:34 -0700
I just got back last night from the Monterey Historics (obviously I
didn't come straight back home).  253 e-mails were awaiting--probably
100 having to do with Monterey.  I was really appalled at the
mis-information that was circulating about.  It is amazing to me how
people will make postings without knowing all (or any) of the
facts--much like some news reporters that we have been hearing about
lately.  Eventually the truth did come out but those who only read the
early missives would think that Phil Hill wrecked a Masareti none of
which is true.

There was significant carnage at the event.  Much more than I have seen
before.  Besides the already mentioned Stirling Moss debacle and the
Lotus 23/Brabham BT8 contact, there was very serious contact between
Stan Peterson in a Cooper Formula Jr. and Tony Seiniger in a Lotus 27 in
Group 4B and there may be others that I don't know about.

As for the professional drivers:  I think some handle themselves
appropriately and know that they don't have anything to prove--as Steve
likes to say,  History has been written, nothing that we do at this
event is going to enhance either the car's or the driver's reputation,
but it can certainly have a negative effect.  I have seen many well
known drivers of old participate and drive with the "vintage spirit."
Phil Hill and Pete Lovely come to mind immediately.  Others feel that
they have a reputation to live up to, or that they are "the show" and
must perform up to a pre-set standard i.e. winning.  They are
insensitive to the valuable historic cars they are driving (not their
own, of course) and are inconsiderate of the fellow competitors and
their valuable historic cars.  Vintage racing, I do believe, is really
racing, but not 10-10ths.  It should be a sport of gentlemen (and
gentlewomen) and should represent the ideals of Corinthian sportsmanship
i.e. for the "love" of the sport.  Obviously banging fenders (or worse)
doesn't fit this definition.

Lastly, there were the comments about Briggs Cunningham's feelings that
old race cars should be in museums and not on the track.  His cars, of
course, went to the Collier collection in Florida.  One of the LeMans
XKE's (looking as it did when it came off the track in France) was on
display (not raced) and as it was being moved to be shipped back to
Florida, the nose was damaged.  So it seems there is "risk" in
everything we do be it on the track or elsewhere.

Dick Buckingham, Jr.
Jolus Formula Jr.