Re: Thoughts on the Monterey weekend

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the Monterey weekend
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:13:10 PDT
[from "Dick Buckingham, Jr."]

>Lastly, there were the comments about Briggs Cunningham's feelings that
>old race cars should be in museums and not on the track.  His cars, of
>course, went to the Collier collection in Florida.  One of the LeMans
>XKE's (looking as it did when it came off the track in France) was on
>display (not raced) and as it was being moved to be shipped back to
>Florida, the nose was damaged.  So it seems there is "risk" in
>everything we do be it on the track or elsewhere.

And the prototype 356 Porsche that ws dropped off a forklift
last year on it's way over.  Caught that on Speedvision.

I say race cars were meant to be raced, cars are meant to be driven.

-------
Regards

Walt Boeninger - Nor Cal SAAC         67 GT500     | 67 Shelby T-A #31
http://www.norcal-saac.org            71 Boss 351  | 97 5.0 Explorer
Email: walt@hpwrcxe.mayfield.hp.com     <space>    | 86 Mustang GT
FOR SALE: 68 Corvette Roadster.
-------------------- End of original message