Re: Info wanted on painting aluminum wheels

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Info wanted on painting aluminum wheels
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:53:23 EDT

<<
 Does anyone have experience painting aluminum wheels?  I'm now stripping off
 a finish that someone did, but didn't stick (chipped off in chunks, and
where
 it didn't flake off, it wrinkled badly).  Should I use standard primer?  Can
 I/should I use metal prep before the primer?  Any advice gladly accepted.

 Thanks,
 Myles H. Kitchen >>

Myles,

When I got it that wreck in the oil at turn six at Sears Point last September
and spun and got hit by the Elva, I too had an aluminum wheel to paint.  My
wheel was a Minilite.  The damage was cosmitic and a little body filler fixed
the Boo-Boo.  I feathered the existing paint, lacquer primed the repair,
skuffed the remaining shiny paint to dull with super-fine and shot the wheel
with catalized enamel.  The result was as good as the factory finish on the
other 4 Minilites.  The secret to any paint job is to get the surface as
clean as you possibly can and then get it 10x more clean.

Rod Schweiger