Re: Info wanted on painting aluminum wheels

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Info wanted on painting aluminum wheels
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:25:03 -0500
Original Message -----
From: <MHKitchen@aol.com>

> Does anyone have experience painting aluminum wheels?  I'm now stripping
off
> a finish that someone did, but didn't stick (chipped off in chunks, and
where
> it didn't flake off, it wrinkled badly).  Should I use standard primer?
Can
> I/should I use metal prep before the primer?  Any advice gladly accepted.

I can speak from serious experience of my results using products from
Aircraft Spruce                   http://aircraft-spruce.com

I've used:
Alumiprep #33 cleaner and brightener
Alodine #1001 an invisible stabilizing coat for use after brightening if
natural finish is desired of if clear-coat is desired.
Alodine #1201 a visible gold-tint stabilizer and paint base

I'll try:
Improved Metal prep #79 a cleaner and paint preparer in one step

I've used the brightener and both stabilizer/primers on aluminum wheels and
other aluminum applications and been very pleased.  I've used "scotch-brite"
burnishing before the chemicals and accomplished some very pleasing "patina"
on vintage race car sheet aluminum.  I've also used the products on
magnesium wheels and uprights with good results although Aircraft Spruce had
no information of magnesium.

I had a little trouble finding them on the site, try a site search for
"Alodine".  The new catalog for '99 & '00 is newly available.   It's a
fantastic catalog of information & things vintage racers can use . . .It's
free but I always like to buy something when I order . . just to show my
appreciation!

Tony Clark - Sherman, TEXAS
Lotus Eleven S1 -  Elite S1 -  Elan S1 -  23B -  51A