Re: New to the sport

To: DonnieM476@aol.com
Subject: Re: New to the sport
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:07:16 -0700
Many good suggestions have been offered already - let me add just one.
If you are on a limited budget but want some excitement in a streetable
car, you can't beat the Solo II (or autocross, if you prefer) program!
It requires very little in terms of car preparation (seat belts, clean
interior and 2/32" tread on the tires) and nothing in terms of driver
safety gear besides a good helmet.  In Solo II you are able to learn to
control your car at the limit of adhesion, though at a relatively low
speed, and you will be exposed to other aspects of car control that are
directly applicable to road racing, should you decide to go on to that
area.  Entry fees are relatively low as well, letting you participate
more frequently than in driver education events, etc.  Car control pays
big dividends when it is needed to shave those last few tenths off a hot
lap - or in missing that other car that decided to do a few loops just
in front of you.  These talents are also applied to everyday driving -
learn to think and look ahead in order to spot trouble before it finds
you.

As for the Porsche Club and BMW Club driving events, I highly recommend
them as well.  Having been an instructor during the formative years of
these programs (at least in the Southeast) I can vouch for the
experience and knowledge you will gain from these.  Once you have
reached the "solo" levels of these programs, you should have a far
better idea of just how much racing demands in terms of time and money
in comparison to how much you feel you want to compete in a
wheel-to-wheel environment.

I remain a believer in the KISS principal and approach to these things.
Hope this helps; good luck and, whatever path you choose, have fun doing
it!

*8o)

John A. Rollins, Vintage Race Coordinator
Florida Region, SCCA

http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/