Re: The Current State ‹ Part II

To: AREastman@aol.com
Subject: Re: The Current State ‹ Part II
From: mike & jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:11:30 +0100
Boy, am I glad you had the eloquence and presence of thought to say what
I've been feeling for the past 5 or 6 years.

You are right about the HSRs of the Vintage Racing world - but at leat Joe
P. has always been honest about the fact that he's running a business - but
unfortunately it's created the conflict between Vintage Racing and 'Used
Sports Car/New Car with old body Racing' which were in the middle of
right now.
Maybe the fault also lies with VMC for allowing race promoters and
business interests in as members along with the founding clubs.  It lends
an air of legitimacy or should I say validity to the run-what-you-brung,
only for profit end of the sport.

To a new comer, the sight of slightly obsolete NASCAR stockers, and 10 yr.
old 962s must be really confusing, further muddying the already confusing
difference between clubs and organizations rules or lack of rules.
As a point of interest, as the guy who ends up doing most of the organizing
for VARAC's Festival events, I've always tried to grid cars in a race that
might have been on the same grid during the appropriate period.

Performance isn't an issue - not all cars on a sports car grid in 1960
were anywhere near the same level of performance...and the requirement
for car performance pales in comparison to that of driver skill.

Good drivers can race on the same track with big speed differential - as
long as they pay attention and remember that it's supposed to be for fun.

So far, its worked up here in Canada but the same big buck attitute it just
as common as down south.

All this is one of the reasons I made sure that I have a car which is VSCCA
eligible - when all else fails, I'm reasonably sure stock cars won't appear
on their grids at club events.
Mike (1958 VAY Special)