Re: braking

To: Larry Moeller <elmo@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: braking
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:20:08 -0400
Since improved brakes are fairly restricted under Vintage ethics (note the
separation from rules ;)), and since vintage tires don't really need big
brakes, why not consider the following:

1.  select the most appropriate carbon type brake pad, and suitable rear shoes.

2.  Use NEW discs, and ensure that wheel bearings/hubs deliver minimal
run-out.  Make sure that caliper seals are giving the correct "pull-off" to
release the pad from the disc correctly.  Remember to adjust the rear shoes
to keep a high pedal.

3.  Use new hard lines and steel braided flex hoses.

4.  Work on getting the balance right - most groups won't mind a proper
pressure line balance adjuster if it's not in the passenger compartment on
earlier cars, and later cars (trans-am era, anyway) probably could use more
sophisticated balance mechanisms like balance bar setups with twin masters.

5.  Don't use the brakes much.  Race cars go faster if you use the throttle,
not the brake!  Seriously, when I was in my third year or so of vintage
racing, in a 998cc Mini, and I was struggling to get my times down one
weekend at Waterford, I set out one practice to see just how many times I
could NOT use the brakes on that tight, twisty track.  For those who know
the track, I ended up not even touching the brakes except on the right
hander at the end of the backstraight, and the tight left-hade turn that
heads you up the hill on the other side of the course.  I dropped four
seconds a lap (1:29 to 1:25) in that one session, and I felt like I was
driving less hard than before.  It was a revelation, to say the least!

Cheers, Brian (who's leaving for Waterford at 9:30 tomorrow morning - YAY!)