Re: Elkhart & Pittsburgh

To: Carter Hendricks <carterh@crl.com>, Susan <alfasun@esslink.com>
Subject: Re: Elkhart & Pittsburgh
From: Jack Rubin <jrubin@ryr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 06:56:33 -0500
Come on back for the VSCDA event in September -- same food, many of the same
people, and _vintage_ racing! Didn't go to Pittsburgh, but sure have been
hearing good stuff about it.  Sounds like the place to go with a Formula
Junior (give me a couple of years, if I'm not to senior for my junior)

Jack

At 09:08 PM 7/27/97 -0700, Carter Hendricks wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Susan wrote:
>
>> Anyone who has any results/stories/gossip/lies about the weekend's two
>> big events, Elkhart and Pittsburgh...
>
>'Just back from Elkhart and a few extra days touring in Wisconsin before
>zooming back home.
>
>The event, of course, was wonderful; how else could it be with such a pretty
>track and such friendly people and such hearty food. Even cool weather.
>
>Elkhart is, of course, a track which favors motors. Lynn loves the baritone
>sound of the Scarab [who doesn't] but hates the loud high pitch of the
>--what, 8500rpm?-- stock car motors...
>
>In some ways Elkhart was worse than I feared. Hundreds [it seemed] of brand
>new Trans Am cars leading just a few historic race cars. It's as though
>the world had flipped overnight. The kind of gas station cars which once
>just filled the field now run the show. The meek shall inherit the earth?
>But the deal isn't some sort of Star Trek time warp, but instead just a
>lot of very expensive, very new stock car motors. 20k+ each. So much for
>building cheap fun race cars.
>
>[Does whats-his-name still require stamped steel rocker arms?]
>
>[Why are all the factory cars so slow, Daddy?]
>
>The Ferraris were mostly slow and mostly fake. The real 512 which pulled
>the hill at Laguna looked sad and dull in Wisconsin. I -loved- the FIA
>Safari Comet, including its original-type radiator and stuff.
>
>In the smaller and larger classes, history was again rewritten, or jumbled
>up or something. This event sure disproves the notion that a loose rule
>structure favors the little guys. You could smell the money, everywhere.
>
>The food -was- wonderful. The people -were- friendly. There's a new filly
>on the farm where we always stay...
>
>There's also this new class for Elkhart. Lynn says its like Malibu Grand
>Prix for rich guys. Last year's stock cars side-by-side on the skinny
>[skinny?] track. Honest. They should be banging into each other, now that
>would be fun, but oh yeah I forgot this is a vintage weekend.
>
>I hope, hope, hope that the new guys* spend a weekend somewhere nice
>[like our place with the horses] looking at some old Elkhart Lake
>programs, and remembering the Can Am events, and the Trans Ams, and
>especially the June Sprints.
>
>How far is it from St Louis to Pittsburgh?
>
>                                       --Carter
>

>* I did miss Marchetti's school bus full of bored maybe-models.

    Jack Rubin
    jrubin@ryr.com