Re: Question

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Question
From: DWhitesdJr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 15:00:40 -0400 (EDT)
One reason VWs weren't raced that much may be that the stock swing axle rear
suspension had a tendency to tuck under and cause the car to roll over.  This
was particularly true in decreasing radius turns.  There were kits to correct
this, and I think SCCA required the kits in later years.
Nevertheless, I can recall when VWs would come to an SCCA Solo events in the
60s, mischievous course designers (remember that these were the days when
professional drivers were putting rental cars in hotel swimming pools) would
create a course with several decreasing radius turns, so the spectators would
get a show.  I have often wondered how many people were discouraged from
racing because they watched someone's  "daily driver VW" flip in a Sunday
parking lot event.