Re: Nancy Turnbull

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nancy Turnbull
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 02:31:15 -500
On 15 Jul 97 at 13:20, S800Racer@aol.com wrote:

> My personal vote for best lie of the weekend goes to Nancy Turnbull, the
> driver of the 'Team Nancy' Bugeye Sprite.  During the social, the racing
> grandmother explained to all present that she was not a 'racer', she just
> drove around the track with the other cars with no real competitive ambition.
>  HA!  The next day I spent several laps with a particular Bugeye Sprite
> pushing me hard and looking for any opening to pass me.  Not a racer, my
> @**!"

That sounds about right. For those of you who don't know, the former owner of
my Sprite was this very same "Little Old Lady, who only drove it on weekends".
But, did she drive it! But, the Sprite wasn't quite enough for her, as she
moved on to a Lotus 7. I enjoy her attitude- Nancy considers herself "just the
driver", and likes to go out and drive hard without worrying too much about the
car. Then it's up to her husband Dave to keep the car running, and she keeps
him busy!

I Wish I could drive with a little less thought about what's happening to
all the bits inside the engine as I go! My foot is limited by the amount of
work I'll might need to do myself.

>       I sincerely hope she is doing well and can make it back to the track
>soon.

Ditto. We missed her this past weekend at Shannonville.

I've added a picture of Nancy in her 7 on my tail through turn 4 at Mosport-
she's only behind me because she gridded a bit late!

It's on the Wayward Racing Page at http://www.wayward.team.net/slc/wscr.html
(Be sure to let everything load for full effect!)

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
                  "The Wayward Sports Car Centre"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."