Re: Nancy Turnbull

To: mra@sympatico.ca, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Nancy Turnbull
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 13:20:55 -0400 (EDT)
        Although I don't know Nancy Turnbull very well, I was very sorry to hear
about her stroke and the problems that she is now apparently having as a
result.  For those of you who don't know her I thought I would relate a short
story from my experience.  Those of you who know her will appreciate this as
well.  The following is taken from an early edition of "The Escargot Gazette"
in a report on the 1992 SVRA races at Mid-Ohio.

        "Following the Friday afternoon practice Team Escargot hosted the second
annual Group One Social.  A hearty crowd of small-bore racers, husbands,
wives and assorted personnel gathered at the Team Escargot hospitality tent.
 The assembled crowd drank a few cases of complimentary beer while practicing
the Team Escargot vintage racing motto of "Rub shoulders, not fenders".  My
personal vote for best lie of the weekend goes to Nancy Turnbull, the driver
of the 'Team Nancy' Bugeye Sprite.  During the social, the racing grandmother
explained to all present that she was not a 'racer', she just drove around
the track with the other cars with no real competitive ambition.  HA!  The
next day I spent several laps with a particular Bugeye Sprite pushing me hard
and looking for any opening to pass me.  Not a racer, my @**!"

        I sincerely hope she is doing well and can make it back to the track
soon.

        Doug Meis - Team Escargot
        1967 Honda S800