FW: Re: Turner

To: vintage-race
Subject: FW: Re: Turner
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:38:57 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/base64/i" at
line 62  Message too long (>10000 chars)]

     Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 00:20:08 -0400
     From: Dick Rothman <fastcars@home.com>
     Subject: Re: Turner

BMcgu22954@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am seeking information regarding a Turner of 1957 vintage.
> The gent who has it refers to it as a "kit car".
> This car has a 948 cc BMC motor, & torsion bar suspension.
> That's all I really know about the car, so far.
> How many were built ?
> What years ?
> What cars can I expect to run against ?
> Market Value ?
> Known sources of information ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bruce McGuire

Bruce -

Turner automobiles were manufactured by Jack Turner in Wolverhampton,
England between 1955 and 1966. Approximately 670 were made in
essentially four basic varieties.  The first cars were powered by an
Austin 803 engine followed by about 150 cars (the Turner 950) powered by
the 948 Sprite engine.  The 950S, or Turner Alexander, featured the
Alexander cylinder head as well as other racing mods. These cars had
front discs and drum rears, yet had lever type front shocks.

In 1960, the Mark II was introduced with the Triumph Herald front
suspension - basically Spitfire - A-arms, coilovers,etc., a new body
style reminiscent of the AC Bristol (Cobra) and Ford Cortina 1340 or
1500 engines. In 1964, the Mk. III followed with the larger front disc
brakes, 1500cc Cosworth w/twin 40DCOE2 Weber carbs, larger front discs,
torsion bar rear suspension w/ optional rear coilover setup, etc.

Both the 950 (MK I) and the MK III cars are frequently seen at vintage
races, but not commonly on the West Coast, although I ran my Mk III at
the Monterrey Historics at Laguna Seca in 1996.  Because of the 500
pound weight penalty imposed by SCCA (they really don't want to see
fairly obscure 30+ year old cars winning F Production) Turners are no
longer competive in SCCA.  They make great vintage racers, and are
welcome at SVRA, HSR, VSCCA (1959 or older for VSCCA), provided they are
properly prepared within the specs and spirit of the rules.

Your car, being a 1957 variety, should be eligible everywhere.  In SVRA,
I believe it would be a Group I car, racing against Bugeye Sprites, MG
T-Series cars, and other small bore pre 1960 cars.  It could also run
with VSCCA, and everywhere older production based cars are eligible -
and it should be very competitive.

During the past 32 years, I've owned four of Turners - two 950's and two
MK III's.  My present car, a Mk. III, #65-632, will be at the Jefferson
500 this weekend.  If you are in the area, stop by.