Re: Hot starting racing MGA

To: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Hot starting racing MGA
From: Dennis Murphy <elgparts@xnet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:32:45 -0500 (CDT)
At 10:40 PM 6/17/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Got the back axle oils eal problem under control, many thanks for the
ideas.  Seems that speedy
>sleeves and new seals were the answer.
>
>Just got back from CSRG Reno, had all kinds of fun.  Except on the
pre-grid.  I don't have any
>fan, which is tricky enough to manage when theres a delay, but to make
things worse, my MGA has
>recently refused to start when hot (even at sea level), seems to be rich
mixture because it
>lights up the instant a throttle slide is lifted.  I'm real nervous to lean
the mixture across
>the range, for fear of holy pistons at 12:1 etc and anyway it goes fine
flat out and really isn't
>that what it's supposed to do?
>
>a) Any suggestions on the fan front, I would hate to put the standard fan
back and lose all those
> oodles of horse puppies.
>b) Any magic needles available, Im using 1.75 SU's

Malcom,

Try mounting an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. Put a switch
in easy reach in the cockpit and just use it on the grid. You can pick up
nice lightweight ones that are sold for trailer towing at Trak Auto or
similar places. Mine mounts on plastic tie straps that run right through the
radiator - not the most professional looking installation, but it works and
if it were to come adrift there is no where for it to go anyway.
Dennis Murphy
Geneva, IL
1952 XK120
1990 XJ-S