Re: Hot starting racing MGA

To: malcox@napanet.net
Subject: Re: Hot starting racing MGA
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:17:35 PDT
I was there too.  The pre-grid people took way too long to get their act
together.  They seemed to be better on Sunday, but there were fewer
red-flag situations on Sunday.  I guess we all figured out the worst
penalty for being sloppy was sitting in the sweat box while they figured
it out.  ;=) I can sympathise to some extent, as they were trying to get
us back in the order the new computer wanted us in, but they just took
way too long to get it right.  We were also not getting very accurate
signals as to how much time remained before the restart.  I was in the
open wheel group, and we ain't got no ROOM for the El Cheapo electric
fans somebody suggested.  Two or 3 of the drivers in my group pulled out
of the grid and took a DNF rather than wait.  My car almost overheated,
and I gave them some "encouragement" to get the bloody show on the road
again.  We were a clean, well behaved group on Sunday.  ;=)

FYI for those who weren't there, the city of Reno mandated that we go to
a black-flag-all (red flag) on ANY incident, as it was too difficult to
clear the track with cars going around.  This tended to make people
drive very conservatively by Sunday.

>Just got back from CSRG Reno, had all kinds of fun.  Except on the
>pre-grid.  I don't have any fan, which is tricky enough to manage when
>theres a delay, but to make things worse, my MGA has recently refused to
>start when hot (even at sea level), seems to be rich mixture because it
>lights up the instant a throttle slide is lifted.

On hot-starting a car with carbs, one standard technique is to open the
throttles all the way, crank it, and back off as soon as it fires.
Doesn't this work for you?  Everybody was running rich in Reno.  Some
compensated better than others.  My car ran like s**t.