RE: Dual Master cylinder challenges on TR4A

To: "'Vintage Race List'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dual Master cylinder challenges on TR4A
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:22:49 -0400

I installed Tiltons dual master set up earlier this year this year. I
purchased both the forward and rearward facing configurations to see which
might fit better. After hours of measuring It appeared the only way to make
it happen was to use the forward facing arrangement. But not until the
"shelf" area on the bulkhead was cut out completely. I had to design and
fabricate a replacement that lowered the petal assembly about 3-1/2". This
was not fun. In addition, a seperate bracket needed to be mounted on the
bosses (on the assembly) to hold the innermost reservoir.  This carefully
positioned the the resevoir in the bulge. Oh yes, right hand drive car.
 After all that, It appeared that the "remotes" could be mounted on the
inner fender well and still keep the hoses (connected to the masters)
inclined downward. I may yet make this modification.

It was a lot of effort but I'd do it again. I'm using a pair of .875"
masters with stock wheel cylinders and the improvement is unbelievable. No
more tentative braking going in.

I've got the sheet metal pattern on Autocad if you decide to go this route.

Chip Bond
tr4racer@esinet.net