Re: hmmmmm...

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "Gary" <speckman@coredcs.com>
Subject: Re: hmmmmm...
From: "The Vulture" <vulture@gol.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 23:25:08 +0900
Gary,

Regarding the spring..... How close do you live to W. S Thompson?
He is known to carry a supply of these springs in his pocket and drop
them near other Sprites.

In an earlier life, when the Vulture raced sailboats instead of cars
and they had wooden masts (now the Vulture is really showing
his age) He used to carry a pocket full on silicone bronze weathered
screws (the types used on masts) that had been ripped out of
sitka spruce with visegrips (leaving a little spruce in the threads)
and when engaged in a tacking dual with a opponent, has been known
to flip one on the opponents sail in such a location that it
would drop at the helmsmans feet. From then on you had them!
_____________________________________

The Vulture
Bringing Tasteful Terrorism to Vintage Racing

WWW:
http://www2.gol.com/users/vulture/vulture.htm

E-MAIL:
vulture@gol.com
______________________________________

Gary writes,
----------
> From: Gary <speckman@coredcs.com>
> To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> Subject: hmmmmm...
> Date: Saturday, June 08, 1996 1:15 AM
>
> Ok..here is one for all you Techical wizards out there...
>
> Was doing some final "prepping" on my '59 Bugeye Racer in the driveway.
> Got done, and looked under the car and saw a very familiar piece of same
> laying on the driveway. It was one of the spring clips that hold the
throw
> out bearing plate onto the clutch pressure plate.(nine spring clutch...I
KNOW!)
> Well, last year, one of these little do dads gave up on me so I found an
old
> donor clutch plate and stole the spring from it and put it on this one.
> I figured it was a typical "Speckman" repair job...and it was time to do
> this over again..but I ordered a new clutch from Winners Circle cuz i
didnt
> want to take the chance of this spring falling out at speed.
>
> Got the new clutch assembly and proceeded to pull the
engine/transmission.
> Well...what'd ya know!  All three springs were still in place!
AAARRGGHH!!!