Here we go again!

To: vintage -race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Here we go again!
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 14:22:16 -0400
Chris Harwood wrote:

> >Just curious, Dave:  why are you running these brakes on a Healy?  I
> >though the point of vintage racing was running the cars as they came,
> >with the original brakes?  I'm going to try to get a thread running on
> >should we run our production type cars as they were produced, or as they
> >were raced, maybe you could comment?
> >--
> >Brian Evans
> >Major Account Manager
> >Shaw FiberLink
> >(brian.evans@fiberlink.ca)
>
> ------------ A Post Mosport addition to thread --------------
> I'm beginning to wonder as well. Club's have eligibility committees but
> they seem to interpret rules loosely.  There was a Europa racing at the
> recent Mosport event in a configuration that never came out of Hethel. This
> particular car made have been a club-racer with a history - I will have to
> check further.
>
>   I am/was going to re-build my 70 Europa Type 54 following the appropriate
> SVRA rules for "production sports cars" which would likely make mine
> non-competitive in VARAC as the would likely run in the same class. What
> mods are allowed or not allowed?
>
> I realise that it is asking alot of eligibility committees to know
> everything about every car but some one has to apply the rules. I also
> don't want to PO an owner who as spent $$$ preparing a car to an extremely
> loose or non-existent specification.
>
> Chris Harwood

Chris:
Both of us know that the VARAC rule book doesn't allow for non-spec
suspensions, brakes, engines etc. but... It's really difficult for an event
scrutineer to be as intimately familiar with every make/model/ variant
that could turn-up at an event, as you are with Europas, even an event
with only 100+ cars.
If the Europa (I which car) is not kosher, it's an issue for the Eligibility
Committee and class rep. But... sometimes, someone has to point out the
offending car to them. I know it's hard to be the one to blow the whistle as
this is supposed to be a 'gentleman's sport' but cars (even SVRA cars - I
daresay more than VARAC cars) can be prepped incorrectly either through
ommission or commission.
It's every racer and member's responsibility to keep the rule book as a
working document, not just a symbolic motherhood book.
If everyone waits for the 'few to watch over the many' we'll always have
far too many 'bent' cars.
This issue ties into Brian Evan's thread last month about levels of
preparation. As always, it's easier to turn any Vintage race car into a
contemporary car with an old body than to race it as it should be...and often
the car isn't as competitive as we would like -
That's why we all have to participate to keep Vintage Racing as is should be.
Mike Rosen