Nor Cal Open Track Event: June 29-30

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Nor Cal Open Track Event: June 29-30
From: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com (Walt Boeninger)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:55:08 pst

This is to announce the upcoming Nor Cal SAAC Summer Opener, an Open
Track event to be held by the Northern California Shelby American
Automobile Club on June 29-30 at the 9-turn, 1.9 mile Thunderhill Park
road course (Willows, CA).

This will be a fun, low key event, with a nice combination of older
high-performance Ford equipment, late model and SVT Mustangs, and the
odd Monster Miata, GM, or European brand-X product mixed in for good
measure. People who have never done one of these events before should
consider themselves welcome. This provides a great opportunity for
your first outing, and the price per hour of seat time simply can't be
beat. If you've always wondered what it would be like to really wring
your car out under the controlled conditions of a racetrack
environment, here's your chance. Driving instruction will be available
for first time participants.

This event will be open to all makes and models of cars (with the
exception of open wheeled cars). However, we do require rollover
protection in open cars, so convertibles with no roll bars can no
longer be allowed.

We will have tech inspection at the track at the all weekend. We will
also have early tech on Friday, June 28, from 3-5PM, both at the track
and at the barbecue at the Golden Pheasant (see below).  The paddock
gates will open at 7:00AM Sat/Sun, and Tech Inspection will open at
7:30AM. Cars will need to be able to pass a normal Nor Cal SAAC tech
inspection. For a first-time driver, this basically requires a safe
car, factory seat belts, and Snell SA85, M90, SA90, M95, or SA95 rated
helmet, and a fire bottle mounted in a metal bracket in the driver's
compartment. If you need detailed tech information, please call the
Nor Cal SAAC Hotline at (408)374-1298, extension 34, and we'll be
happy to send it out to you. The sound level limit for this event is
103dB(A).  No open headers will be allowed.

Entry fees will be as follows:

     $120 per run group Sunday or Sunday
     $220 for one run group on both Saturday and Sunday

Multiple drivers may share a single entry. Nor Cal SAAC membership is
required for participation.

Our events are about car *people* as much as they are about cars and
driving, and the social aspects are very important to us as a club. We
don't just run the cars and then go hibernate until the next morning.
There are two evening events planned during the weekend as well.

On Friday evening, the social focus will be at the Golden Pheasant
Inn/Best Western. There will be a Happy Hour at the hotel bar from
4-6PM, and then an outdoor barbecue for all participants and their
guests by the swimming pool. For $13.50, we'll have a buffet with
Tri-Tip, Chicken, Green Salad, Potatoes, Veggie Platter, Baked
Cobbler, and all the bench racing you can swallow.

On Saturday night, there will be an informal dinner gathering and
bench racing session at the Blue Gum Inn just north of Willows,
including video on their big screen TV. Everyone is welcome to attend.
There will be a choice of dinners, and even more nech racing than you
can possibly imagine (Cost for the food approximately $10-$15, the
bench racing is free).

Accomodations:

The primary hotel for the event is the Golden Pheasant Inn/Best
Western (800) 338-1387. Ask for Shelby Club Rate.

Other possible locations:

SUPER 8 MOTEL: 457 N. Humboldt Ave. (916) 934-2871

Crossroads West: 452 N. Humboldt (916) 934-7076

To get there, take I-5 north to Highway 152 in Willows. The track is 6
miles west of I-5, and the hotel is located to the right at the first
light to the east off I-5. It is 90 miles north of the Sacramento
Airport, or roughly two and a half hours north of the Bay Area.

For up-to-date information about this event, please call the Nor Cal SAAC
Hotline at (408)374-1298, extension 33. Or email Walt Boeninger at
walt@hpwrcxe.mayfield.hp.com.

There is *no admission charge* for non-driving spectators and guests.
If you're not sure that this kind of an event is for you, feel free to
come out and watch some proper high-performance Ford iron at speed, or
bench race with us at the barbecue, or perhaps catch rides with some
of the participants in the afternoon sessions.  Watch once, and you'll
be coming out to play next time, for sure.

See you at the track!

-skod

--
Scott Griffith, Sun Microsystems Lumpyware
Nor Cal SAAC/Green Flag Driving Association driving instructor

| Another Fordnatics post -- Author retains copyright -- ask before forwarding |

-------------------- End of forwarded message