Re: [TR] Re-installing Front Suspension Springs

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Re-installing Front Suspension Springs
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 12:08:49 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2124215_1754830217.1681214929648

 I've found that conventional hardware store all thread (grade 2) will last=
 long enough to change out one set of springs.=C2=A0 Even with lubrication =
the thread wears and gets galled.=C2=A0 I went one better and bought some 1=
/2 inch ACME thread rod and nuts from McMaster-Carr.=C2=A0 Of course, ACME =
thread nuts won't jam since that effect counts on the angle of the thread a=
nd ACME has no angle, the threads are square-cut.=C2=A0 So I drilled the nu=
t and rod at one end and I use a locking pin to keep the nut on the bottom =
in place throughout the operation.
My tool has been used for many removal/installs and is still good as new.=
=C2=A0=20

On the other hand, hardware store threaded rod is available today and will =
work for one operation and is quick and convenient in acquisition.
=20
Dave=20

=20
=20