Re: [TR] TR3 Oil Pan Leakage

To: Cliff Hansen <cliff_hansen@outlook.com>, William Brewer <billbrewer59@yahoo.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Oil Pan Leakage
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

------=_Part_86556_1578260398.1659120956052

I too have had difficulty making a leak free engine on my street/race TR3. =
 I also had an oil drop on almost every pan bolt head.  I resealed the pan =
a couple times finding that the sealant had almost no adhesion to the alumi=
num filler block in front.  So I thought that where the leak was coming fro=
m.  I think I tried both the gray and black Permatex.  After pulling the en=
gine for a refresh, I found that the oil leak was most likely coming from b=
etween the engine mount plate and the block.  I had used the red spray-on H=
igh Tack sealant on that gasket.  The gasket peeled cleanly off the block a=
nd plate and was saturated with oil.  Oil never dripped from the pan or eng=
ine.  It was pushed back while in motion and always dripped off the trans b=
ell housing.  I developed an easy to change, disposable shop towel hanger o=
ut of safety wire between the two lowest bell housing flywheel cover bolts =
and never had a drop of oil on the garage floor.  I changed the towel befor=
e a race weekend. =20
One think I was happy to find, was that the rear main seal was definitely n=
ot leaking. =20
If I find a photo of the oil diaper arrangement, I'll share it.
Dave H.=20

>     On 07/29/2022 7:50 AM Cliff Hansen <cliff_hansen@outlook.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>     Bill,
>=20
>=20
>     Following.
>=20
>=20
>     I replaced the pan gasket on my TR4A about a year ago. I carefully le=
veled the mating surface using a dolly then a file, new gasket with Permate=
x #2, and actually used a in-lb torque wrench. Before it leaked moderately =
from the pan-to-block join. Now it leaks slooowly, accumulating a drop at a=
lmost every bolt head, even the bolts that don=E2=80=99t pass into the inte=
rior of the engine. It=E2=80=99s frustrating because I=E2=80=99ve managed t=
o solve every other leak.
iff_hansen@outlook.com http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/cliff=
_hansen@outlook.com
>=20
>=20
>     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs http://www.team.net/a=
rchive
>=20
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dl=
hogye@comcast.net
>=20

------=_Part_86556_1578260398.1659120956052

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
 color: #333333;">
difficulty making a leak free engine on my street/race TR3.&nbsp; I also ha=
d an oil drop on almost every pan bolt head.&nbsp; I resealed the pan a cou=
ple times finding that the sealant had almost no adhesion to the aluminum f=
iller block in front.&nbsp; So I thought that where the leak was coming fro=
m.&nbsp; I think I tried both the gray and black Permatex.&nbsp; After pull=
ing the engine for a refresh, I found that the oil leak was most likely com=
ing from between the engine mount plate and the block.&nbsp; I had used the=
 red spray-on High Tack sealant on that gasket.&nbsp; The gasket peeled cle=
anly off the block and plate and was saturated with oil.&nbsp; Oil never dr=
ipped from the pan or engine.&nbsp; It was pushed back while in motion and =
always dripped off the trans bell housing.&nbsp; I developed an easy to cha=
nge, disposable shop towel hanger out of safety wire between the two lowest=
 bell housing flywheel cover bolts and never had a drop of oil on the garag=
e floor.&nbsp; I changed the towel before a race weekend.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span=

 color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style">
 happy to find, was that the rear main seal was definitely not leaking.&nbs=
p;&nbsp;</span>
 color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style">
to of the oil diaper arrangement, I'll share it.</span>
 color: #333333;" class=3D"default-style">
span>
    On 07/29/2022 7:50 AM Cliff Hansen &lt;cliff_hansen@outlook.com&gt; wro=
te:
r ago. I carefully leveled the mating surface using a dolly then a file, ne=
w gasket with Permatex #2, and actually used a in-lb torque wrench. Before =
it leaked moderately from the pan-to-block join. Now it leaks slooowly, acc=
umulating a drop at almost every bolt head, even the bolts that don=E2=80=
=99t pass into the interior of the engine. It=E2=80=99s frustrating because=
 I=E2=80=99ve managed to solve every other leak.</p>
link/?LinkId=3D550986"> Mail</a> for Windows</p>
olid #E1E1E1 1.0pt; padding: 3.0pt 0in 0in 0in;">
rom: </strong><a href=3D"mailto:billbrewer59@yahoo.com";>William Brewer</a><=
strong><a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>Triumph List</a><br><stro=
ng>Subject: </strong>[TR] TR3 Oil Pan Leakage</p>
et the oil pan to quit being so leaky for <br>over 30 years and two engine =
rebuilds now. I made sure that the bolt <br>holes in the pan are lower than=
 the mounting surface. I check the pan <br>fit with a feeler gauge with no =
gasket. I get everything cleaned off. I <br>have tried Permatex, Aviation P=
ermatex and Hylomar Blue. I have used the <br>recommended torques. Still sl=
owly seeping and dripping over time. It <br>seems worse in the front that t=
he rear and no the front aluminum sealing <br>block isn't stripped out.<br>=
ring the TR3 and Morgan <br>over to their houses because of the amount of d=
rips.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have looking over the "Triump=
h Experience" website and it looks <br>like most owners there have thrown t=
heir hands up and given up. Either <br>that or the ones that say that they =
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've considered CNC'ing a 3/8" steel mounting flange,=
 welding that <br>to the top of the oil sump (the weld would seal on the in=
side) and then <br>torquing that sonofabitch down tight with permatex on it=
bsp;&nbsp; I've also considered making a sheet metal "catch box" that would=
ld <br>make a long aluminum drip pan that goes under the sump, rear seal an=
here TR2/3/4 oil pans to stay drip free?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
>** triumphs@autox.team.net **<br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <a href=3D"h=
ttp://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triump=
hs</a>&nbsp; <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/ar=