[TR] TR3 Oil Pan Leakage

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Oil Pan Leakage
From: William Brewer <billbrewer59@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 13:11:22 -0700
      I have been trying to get the oil pan to quit being so leaky for
over 30 years and two engine rebuilds now. I made sure that the bolt
holes in the pan are lower than the mounting surface. I check the pan
fit with a feeler gauge with no gasket. I get everything cleaned off. I
have tried Permatex, Aviation Permatex and Hylomar Blue. I have used the
recommended torques. Still slowly seeping and dripping over time. It
seems worse in the front that the rear and no the front aluminum sealing
block isn't stripped out.

      I have family members asking me not to bring the TR3 and Morgan
over to their houses because of the amount of drips.

      I have looking over the "Triumph Experience" website and it looks
like most owners there have thrown their hands up and given up. Either
that or the ones that say that they are drip free probably haven't
driven their cars much.

      I've considered CNC'ing a 3/8" steel mounting flange, welding that
to the top of the oil sump (the weld would seal on the inside) and then
torquing that sonofabitch down tight with permatex on it. No more
worrying about flange distortion.

      I've also considered making a sheet metal "catch box" that would
mount under the pan and completely enclose it to catch drips. It could
be held on with 4 bolts and removed/cleaned out at oil changes. I should
make a long aluminum drip pan that goes under the sump, rear seal and
transmission.

      Anyone ever get there TR2/3/4 oil pans to stay drip free?

      -Bill Brewer

      Morro Bay, CA

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html