Re: [TR] TR3A Starter Solenoid buzzing

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Starter Solenoid buzzing
From: Art McEwen <amcewen2@cogeco.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:28:32 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 4/22/2013 6:59 PM, Randall wrote:
> ---- Art McEwen <amcewen2@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> I'm assuming there's nothing I can do to fix it (tried hitting it with a
>> ratchet handle already so don't suggest that)?
> You might want to check that the battery connections are clean and tight; and
> that the battery itself is in good shape.  It's been awhile since I was
> inside a TR3 solenoid, but I don't recall it having the "buzzer" (aka pull-in
> coil) that many more modern solenoids have.
Cleaned the terminals and replaced a crack battery connector (new last
year) and it fired right up.  That's when I found the fuel leak ;)

> Your Trombetta solenoid will probably work OK, if it is intended for
> automotive applications.  The cables might not fit though, I believe most of
> them use 5/16" studs while the original TR3 solenoid was 1/4".
Yeah the posts do look bigger but the leads look a bit bigger then the
OEM ones so I might have been able to make it fit.  I'll throw it in the
boot for now

Thanks all.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive