Re: [TR] TR6 oil pressure line leak 74

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, morgan <morganthedog@twcny.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 oil pressure line leak 74
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:09:52 +0000
---- morgan <morganthedog@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> The hard plastic oil gauge line leaks near the engine connection. I wanted to
> remove the last 2 inches and put the barb fitting back in. No way it will fit.
> Heat made it too soft too fast. What is the secret?

Try this: take a block of wood and drill a hole the same diameter as your
plastic line.  Cut the block in half through the center of the hole.  Lay the
line into the resulting groove with the end protruding just slightly from one
side, then clamp the blocks back together (so they grip the line tightly).
Ream the end of the line a bit, for a slight taper.  Now drive the fitting in
with a hammer and another block of wood.

Or, you might consider just replacing the fitting with a "vibration-resistant"
compression fitting from MMC (if the block threads match):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/177

That's what I used when adding an oil pressure gauge to the Stag.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive