Re: [TR] Gas in oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Gas in oil
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:44:04 -0400
On 23 Jun 2007 at 20:36, TR250Driver@aol.com wrote:

> Check your carburetors.  If one or both of them are wet within the
> throat of the unit then the needle valve is not seating and
> shutting off the flow off...

One cause, possibly the most common cause today, so I've been told,
is that newer gas formulations eat away at the inside of the older
rubber fule lines.  Pieces then flake away and get caught in the
float valves.  Of course, rust and other kinds of gunk in the gas, I
mean fule, could do that too.  The solution is to place a filter in
the fule line, and replace any rubber fule lines, especially those
downstream of the filter.

My GT6 accumulated a fair amount of gas in the oil once, so I rebuilt
the fule pump.  It happened again, and then I had gas start to spill
out of carb.  I freed the value, but then that happened again too.
The fule pump has a pretty good dirt entrapment system but a PO had
installed a filter in the line.  I replaced that filter and the
rubber hoses.  Haven't had a problem since.  Of course, now it will
probably happen again tomorrow...

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com