Re: [TR] Repairing an SU Carb Body

To: Allan Reich <areich@telus.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Repairing an SU Carb Body
From: "Glenn A. Merrell" <StagByTriumph@tscusa.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:07:09 -0600
Allan Reich wrote:
> I recently discovered the pivot hole for the choke lever on the front
> SU carb of my TR3A had been stuck together with JB Weld by the PO but
> recently broke off when I had the head and the manifolds off. I am
> inquiring about getting the little piece welded back on.
> One respected advice-giver said "  .. can't be done .. it's pot metal
> and the body will just melt if you touch it with heat!".
> Another respected advice-giver said " .. a common problem, it's just
> aluminum and you can get it welded .. we do it all the time!".
> So I thought I would go to the group and inquire if anybody has
> repaired an SU Carb body.
> Allan Reich
> Vancouver   1960 TR3A   1 TS65713L
I have repaired ZS carburetor bodies with alumiweld.  It is workable
with a standard propane or butane torch so it works at lower heat.
The manufacturer claims you can repair pot metal also, but I have not
mastered that technique - the correct temperature for pot metals is a
mystery to me - and probably to the makers too!

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)

===     http://www.vtr.org