RE: [TR] Repairing an SU Carb Body

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Repairing an SU Carb Body
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:33:44 -0700
> > One respected advice-giver said "  .. can't be done .. it's
> pot metal

I am reasonably certain that SU carbs are not "pot metal".  Don't exactly
what alloy it is, but it's primarily aluminum, not zinc.

> The commercial says you can repair any Al alloy with these
> rods and a propane torch. No flux reqired. Just a clean surface.
>
> Has anyone ever used this product? and on SUs?

I've tried it on a thermostat housing; couldn't make it work.  My propane
torch was woefully inadequate to heat the housing to the required
temperature; even after 15 minutes on the same spot.

Never tried an SU body, though.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org