RE: [TR] TR4 Slipping Clutch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Slipping Clutch
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:06:32 -0700
> I had slipping clutch problem on my TR4.  the level of slip was
> annoying, but not insurmountable to get around, but it wasn't healing
> itself either.

Will, what steps did you take to ensure that the problem was not outside the
bellhousing ?  Was there sufficient free play in both the slave and MC
pushrods ?  Pedal returning all the way under just spring pressure ?

> Like Borg and Beck are no more.

AFAIK, they were bought out by Automotive Products (AP) a long time ago; and
AP is still in business.  I believe they have just switched factories and
dropped the "B&B" name.  Which may or may not make current supply as good as
the old ones, I don't know.

>  Moss doesn't even have a throw out
> bearing available, what's up with that?

Beats me, TRF has them on sale.

> Should I order a replacement disk,

My local independant auto parts store can have them relined for
substantially less money.

>  Is there such a thing as resurfacing a
> pressure plate?

Yes, but since it has to be disassembled to do it, it's generally called
"rebuilding".  There are adjustments required when it's reassembled.  And
they should check that the springs are up to snuff, which might possibly be
the cause of a slipping clutch (although I've never heard of such a thing on
a TR).

>  What quality is the AP Driveline parts?   What do you
> guys recommend I do? I want to get back on the road.

My experience has been that the old B&B plate was simply bullet-proof.
AFAIK, my 59 TR3A still had it's original pressure plate when I converted to
a 4A-style clutch (and alloy flywheel) a few years ago.   The one in a
previous 3A stood up to incredible abuse (used to launch my warmed-over
motor at 3500 rpm, full throttle and right on top of the torque curve) and
never gave me a problem.  (Although I have heard they tend to blow up if you
spend a lot of time over 6000 rpm <G>)

So if you can't find someone to resurface yours for you, I would probably
pick up a used one on flea-bay or whatever.

And keep looking for why your clutch slipped.   Could the TOB carrier sleeve
have been binding on the snout of the gearbox ?  I had one seize up there
once, after the failed TOB got extremely hot and apparently crushed (or
melted) the carrier.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org