RE: [TR] 1972 Spitfire Distributor issue...

To: "'Smith, Brian \(CP\)'" <BrianSmith1@templeinland.com>, "'Triumph
Subject: RE: [TR] 1972 Spitfire Distributor issue...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:50:18 -0700
> I checked the timing on my spit this weekend with my new
> Inductive Timing Light (anniversary present, got a good one.)
> and discovered that my centrifugal advance is advancing WAY
> to much (Max at 5800 is suppose to be about 27 degrees.  My
> timing mark disappeared!).  So, where can I get some new
> advance springs and is this something that is easy to change?

Brian :

The maximum advance is NOT set by the springs but by a hard limiter within
the advance mechanism.  Check out
http://www.starchak.ca/tech/pdfs/lucastuning.pdf
for a great explanation and photos.

Since it's unlikely your max advance is wrong (takes some serious damage to
cause that); and there was a recent discussion on another list about some
timing lights being "fooled" by old, noisy ignitions; I would suggest double
checking your results before tearing the dizzy down.

OTOH, you should be able to easily see the advance limiter by removing the
rotor & point plate, so maybe that is worth doing.

One other thing to keep in mind; most Triumph distributor specifications are
given in "distributor degrees", but what your timing light shows are
"crankshaft degrees".  Frequently the specifications are not labelled; and
sometimes they are even labelled wrong !

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org