Re: [TR] TR4 Cutting Out Under Load

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'TR List'"
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Cutting Out Under Load
From: "Skip Gurnee" <skip47@powernet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:35:01 -0700
> > To reinterate,  I have excellent idle and operation at low RPM.
> > Cutting out starts @ about 2K under load.  I can nurse it up
> > to about 3K max.  Also cuts out worse up hill.
>
> If it won't do more than 3K rpm even with no load, but will do 2K under
> load; then I'd say the problem almost has to be ignition.  Takes a lot
more
> fuel to pull a load than just rev the engine up; but ignition requirements
> go up quickly with just rpm (and also with load).
>
> Might be worth swapping out the ignition coil, just to see what happens.
> Your local auto parts store should have a general purpose coil & ballast
> resistor that will do for a test (or permanently if you're not worried
about
> appearance).
> Randall

I agree with Randall.  Ignition is more likely the culprit from the symptoms
described, and the coil is a possible offender.  Coils don't like heat or
vibration, and so Triumph put them right where they'd get as much as
possible, on the engine itself (maybe the tractor heritage).  If you aren't
concerned about pure originality, relocate it to the inner fender well.  I
did that with all my TR's, and never had a coil failure since.
Best,
Skip Gurnee
64 TR4, 67 TR4A, 65 TR4A(just sold)

===     http://www.vtr.org