Re: [TR] TR4 Cutting Out Under Load

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR4 Cutting Out Under Load
From: "Ed Purcell" <epurcell05@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:39:02 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter C" <peter@nosimport.com>
To: "Ed Purcell" <epurcell05@comcast.net>; "TR List"
<triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:27 AM

> Ed, that is a typical sign of a high tension ignition breakdown.  Suspect
> ignition rotor cracked, cap has cracks, coil wire loose.
>         Peter C
> ==
> At 09:36 AM 6/13/2007, Ed Purcell wrote:
>
>>Hi Listers,  I have a late TR4 with a fairly new Pertronix distributor.
>>It ran fine for a while after installation.  I attempted to adjust the ZS
>>175's due to a rough idle with poor results.  I then reseated the jets and
>>backed off three turns per the manual.  The car now revs fine in neutral.
>>On the road it cuts out.  The higher the gear, the lower RPM the miss
>>begins. Hence the greater the load the poorer the performance.  All ideas
>>appreciated.  Thanks,

Thanks Peter and Bob,  And for anyone else pondering this, I just put the
old points distributor back in and the symptoms did not change.  They say
the carbs are usually not the problem, but it sure looks like mine are
messed up.  To reinterate,  I have excellent idle and operation at low RPM.
Cutting out starts @ about 2K under load.  I can nurse it up to about 3K
max.  Also cuts out worse up hill.  Thanks again.

 Ed Purcell

===     http://www.vtr.org