RE: [TR] Silent Blocks TR3 steering

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Silent Blocks TR3 steering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:29:36 -0700
> does this mean that as the tie rod moves the rubber
> must twist inside the tie rod silent block to accommodate the
> tie rod movement.

Yup, exactly what it means.

> that would seem to make the steering really stiff by design.

Not really.  The rubber doesn't need to distort very much, and even with the
fast ratio steering, you still have a great deal of leverage over the
silentblocs.

If you're really worried about it, BFE sells a brass/SS replacement that has
no rubber (and should last forever).  Required some work to fit, but I
really liked mine.

>     A second question...  the seal on the steering idler is
> shown (Moss part# 520-030) but is unavailable from Moss. What
> are the list members doing to replace this seal?

I got mine from TRF, but that was some time ago, they may be out by now.
It's nothing special, an O-ring would probably work (if your old 'seal'
isn't usable).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org