[TR] Silent Blocks TR3 steering

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'list Triumph'"
Subject: [TR] Silent Blocks TR3 steering
From: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:45:45 -0800
Ok, I am confused! I am in the process of rebuilding my wife's TR3 steering
and clearly I don't understand the use of silent blocks in the system. The
silent blocks I removed had to be pressed out of the tie rod and the tapered
part of the silent block pin had to be pressed out of the arm. So, if the
pin doesn't rotated in the arm and the silent block doesn't rotate in the
tie rod and the rubber seems to be bonded to the pin does this mean that as
the tie rod moves the rubber must twist inside the tie rod silent block to
accommodate the tie rod movement. The steering on this car, like many
others, is stiff at very low speeds. If the rubber in two silent blocks must
be twisted (in place) in order to steer the car that would seem to make the
steering really stiff by design. I must be missing the concept somehow. Can
someone please explain how the silent blocks are supposed to work? The
rubber on the old silent blocks seemed to be "bonded" to the pin and the new
silent block assemblies I received today seem to be the same. Any help would
be appreciated as this system doesn't seem to make sense to me at the
moment.
    A second question...  the seal on the steering idler is shown (Moss
part# 520-030) but is unavailable from Moss. What are the list members doing
to replace this seal?
Mike Denman

===     http://www.vtr.org