[TR] Testing the TR3's switch and several wires

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Testing the TR3's switch and several wires
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 20:38:26 -0400
List,
I want to see if with my wiring harness in place, I can use the push button
switch to, at least, turn the starter motor.  Real "running of the engine"
will come later.

I know the starter works because if I put the negative lead of the battery
(since I'm pos. ground) to the starter wire then, of course, the starter motor
spins.

The schematic in the manual shows 3 terminals on the starter solenoid:
(1.)the small red and white wire goes to the uppermost terminal (as shown in
the manual), (2.)the neg. battery cable goes to the smaller terminal which is
in the middle of the solenoid (but on the edge), (3.) and the starter motor
cable goes to the bottom terminal.

With the key on I push the starter push switch but nothing happens.  Thinking
the diagram is wrong, I rearrange no's 1. and 2. So that the small wire goes
to the small terminal.  Now the solenoid clicks but still the starter still
doesn't move.  PLEASE REMEMBER THAT NO OTHER WIRES OF THIS HARNESS HAVE BEEN
CONNECTED YET.

Again, the battery is grounded. A good, working starter is installed (when I
give it a trial 12v, then it works).  I also 'eliminate' the possibility of
key and push button problems by just going ahead and temporaily connect the
console's red and white wire with the console's white wire.  Thus mimicking
push button pushing- right?

I insure that the coil's positive terminal goes to the distributor and the
coil's negative terminal goes to the  ( engine compartment's) white wire.
Also, as stated,  the 3 starter solenoid terminals are connected (and even
wire no. 1. & 2. swapped).  HOWEVER, THE SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM SHOWS THAT A BROWN
WIRE GOES TO THE SAME SOLENOID TERMINAL AS THE BATTERY'S NEGATIVE- HOWEVER,
I'VE NOT CONNECTED THE BROWN WIRE (it goes to the ammeter which is unnecessary
for this test, BUT, is this my problem????

I have already over-simplified some things in order to try and get the right
questions answered.  Please just help me with the problem as stated above.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org