RE: [TR] Spitfire SU Carbs

To: "Roger Elliott" <elliottr@rmi.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Spitfire SU Carbs
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:11:41 -0800
> I am at a loss of what else to try.  I don't think the mechanical fuel
> pump can be over powering the floats. Can fuel be coming in around the
> threads on the jets?

Could be.  Have you checked that the sealing washers are in good shape ?

> I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would remove the lid, put a 3/16" drill rod in place, hold the float against
it, and blow into the fuel inlet.  It should take only very light finger
pressure to get the valve to seal (or the weight of the float if you turn it
upside down).  If you can blow air through it, then it will leak fuel.

Also wouldn't hurt to put a fuel pressure gauge on temporarily.  Most vacuum
test gauges will read the 2-4 psi of fuel pressure that SUs want; and you should
be able to pick one up for under $20.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org