[TR] Spitfire SU Carbs

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Spitfire SU Carbs
From: "Roger Elliott" <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:08:00 -0600
Hi Everyone,

I have a problem I can't figure out woth my carbs.  I have switched to
dual hs4s.  I recently put new lids (new floats and needles) on the float
bowls so that the fittings allowed me to route the fuel lines easier.

Yesterday, I had the car idling and noticed that gas was coming out
somewhere on the lids such that the lid was covered with gas in just a
minute or two.  My first thought was that it was leaking from the hose. I
got new fuel line an put it on.  Same problem.  I double checked the
clamps - everything was tight. So I decided it was leaking from around the
brass fuel line where it goes into the lid.

I put on some lids from different carbs.  Started the car and fuel was
coming out of the vent tubes.  (Looked back at the new lids and there are
vent holes covered by a metal tab.  Now I assume that is where the gas is
coming out)

I double checked the float levels - They are about 3/16.  Which is in the
range I have heard is correct for them.  Double checked the needles  -
they seem to be free and working.

When I purchased the lids they cam with needles that had a metal tip.  I
switched them out for new needles that have the soft tip. I have a
standard mechanical fuel pump.

I tried to but a washer beneath the needles, but the only ones I could
find were too thick.

I am at a loss of what else to try.  I don't think the mechanical fuel
pump can be over powering the floats. Can fuel be coming in around the
threads on the jets?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott