RE: [TR] Thrust washers

To: "'David Brister'" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Thrust washers
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:31:31 -0800
> Would I be correct in thinking this method has measured the
> fore and aft
> play of the crank?

Sounds reasonable to me.

> If so do I need to replace the thrust washer?

That would put you at .012", which according to my TR3 book is the wear
limit (actually .0117", but I won't quibble over a few 'tenths').  So yes,
I'd suggest replacing the thrust washers while you are in there.  On a
TRactor motor, they are easy to change with the engine still in the car.
'New' clearance should be .004"-.006" (again according to the factory TR3
workshop manual, but I don't see why a TR4A would differ in this area).

If the thrusts are that worn, wouldn't hurt to have a look at the rod & main
bearings too.  They can also be changed with the engine in place.  One of
the shop manuals even suggests changing the rod bearings every 30,000 miles,
as preventative maintenance.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org