Re: TR3A Wheelchair type and transport

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Wheelchair type and transport
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:43:45 -0500
> My wife and I love to travel locally to LBC shows and such. Since my wife
> needs a wheelchair to get around it has becomes a problem to manage
> transport of such. Currently it is simply placed on the bench seat. The
> chair is a standard size/weight and thus is somewhat clumsy to handle. We
> also miss out on bringing our dog along because of space issues. I tried
> tying the chair to the rack but it is really too bulky for that...plus it
> is
> easy to scratch up the finish when loading/unloading. I looked at bumper
> racks and prefer not to go that way...so:
>
> I'm sure that somewhere out there this type of problem has been
> encountered
> and am interested in solutions.

Hi, Francis.

What I would probably do you your circumstance is build a plywood box to two
specifications:  1) to adapt to easy install and removal from your luggage
rack (i.e., using rubberized u-bolts to clamp the box to the luggage rack),
and 2) to contain your wife's wheelchair. That way, you put the box on the
rack, not too clumsy to ruin the finish, and you put the wheelchair in the
box, where it doesn't damage the finished and is protected from the
elements.

Paint the box with exterior latex some inoffensive color, such as black to
match the tires and top and whatnot.

I admire this posting, Francis.  Thank you.

Terry Smith
New Hampshire

===     http://www.vtr.org