Re: Stuck brake drums

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck brake drums
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:45:06 -0500
> My friend and I recently bought a TR3A (TS53020) that
> had been stored in a garage.  The problem is the
> previous owner drove into the garage, set the parking
> brake, and let it sit for 25 years.  The body is in
> good shape, the engine turns over, and the front
> wheels turn, but the rear brakes are frozen solid.  We
> have turned the adjusters all the way out and tried to
> get the brakes shoes to come loose, but so far we
> haven't had any luck.  Does anyone have an idea on
> what we should try?  We would like to do as little
> damage as possible.  Thanks in advance for any help
> you can offer.
>
> Alan

Alan,

I had exactly the same problem.  Three years ago I packed up a bunch of
tools and drove from central New Hampshire to Ossinee, New York to pick up
my '59 TR3A (TS 58667) restoration project, not knowing what to expect, but
prepared for the worst.

I hadn't prepared well enough.

The car had been in a garage since 1975.  In the intervening 30 years, local
urban racoon gangbangers had defaced the car in their own inimitable way,
voiding their bowels and leaving three inches of now-dried racoon dung
throughout the engine bay and interior.  The car wouldn't tow out of the
garage, I discovered, because the brakes had locked up the wheels.  I banged
lightly on the cast iron drums with a BFH, succeeding only in aerating my
environment with racoon fecal leavings, whereupon I congratulated Mother
Nature for inventing rabies.  I chose my language carefully.

What worked was to insert the long red plastic pipe of a can of brake
cleaner [substitute electrical contact cleaner, if preferred] into the gap
between the drum and the backplate.  Spray liberally until the brakes and
interior drums are soaked.  Stir in one dollop of racoon dung-dust because
you've tapped lightly with a BFG again, then put a lever between wheel studs
and pry.  Repeat.  Repeat again.  When your head is enveloped in a dusty
cloud of racoon bowel movement, the wheels will break loose.  ...Then do the
other side.

Blow you nose and you're done.

Terry Smith
TS 59667
New Hampshire
Oh, and stop at a carwash when you trailer the car home.

===     http://www.vtr.org