RE: Stuck brake drums

To: "Alan Storey" <astorey_2000@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stuck brake drums
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:39:01 -0800
> We have turned the adjusters all the way out and tried to
> get the brakes shoes to come loose, but so far we
> haven't had any luck.  Does anyone have an idea on
> what we should try?

I was working on this just the other day ... similar story but my car sat
for 30 years.

I've always been able to work them loose with a combination of rapping
smartly on the drum with a BFH and pulling outwards on it.  Hit the drum
near the face of the drum, but with the blow directed towards the centerline
of the axle.  Lots of raps all around the circumference of the drum.  Stay
away from the ridge that sticks up, as it will break easily under a hammer
blow.   Pulling on the drum as you're hitting it, and working it back and
forth (once it starts to move) will help too. I've occasionally used a large
gear puller to pull on the drum, not very hard but enough to put some strain
on the shoes so they can slip under the impact of the hammer.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org