RE: cams, lifters, etc

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: cams, lifters, etc
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:24:40 -0800
> > Assembly lube is a must for either old or new.  Molybdenum
> disulphide is a
> > good
> > ingredient but there's more to assembly lube than just "moly".
> >
> > Randall
>
> Randall, would you elaborate a bit?

I'm sorry, Terry, didn't mean to be obtuse.  What I meant is that molybdenum
disulphide (MoS2) is a black powder, and by itself it won't adhere well to
surfaces like cam lobes and lifters.  Lots of people have their own magic
formulas, but any quality commercial "assembly lube" "with moly" should do.
"CV joint grease" seems to work well, too.

>  Are you
> suggesting that even
> though you use assembly lube, you nevertheless do the drill in
> the oil pump
> routine prior to start up?

Personally, I don't bother.  Instead, I spin the entire engine with the
starter, plugs out, until the oil pressure comes up.  Not that there's
anything wrong with the drill motor routine, it's just that I get impatient
<G>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org