"What's A Whit Really Worth?" and Specialty Hand Tools

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: "What's A Whit Really Worth?" and Specialty Hand Tools
From: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:29:30 -0500
I'm aware that Whitworth _threads_ are different than the now more common SAE
and metric threads that bind the bolts and nuts of the rest of my life, and I
have accumulated small stash of the 58 degree buggers just in case. I realize
that a set of taps and dies would be useful for any work on my sidescreen
cars, but special Whitworth wrenches and sockets?

I see at http://www.samstagsales.com/whitworth_table.htm that an SAE wrench of
7/16 size would be used on a 3/8 Whitworth bolt.  Other than the naming
convention (and the few odd-sized Whitworth bolts that lack an SAE
counterpart), I assume that SAE wrenches would work just as well to remove
and fasten Whitworth bolts and nuts? Yes?

Does anybody have a list of needed Whitworth tap and die sizes for the
sidescreen TRs, so I can cheap out if possible and not purchase a full set?

As far as other special tools, I can see the use of a wire wheel spoke nipple
wrench (and the requisite proper hammer for the wheels hubs). And, of course,
the carriage key for Dzus fasteners and budget locks.

Any other useful specialty hand tools I should acquire?

--
Hoyt
1954 TR2   TS561L

===     http://www.vtr.org