RE: "What's A Whit Really Worth?" and Specialty Hand Tools

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "What's A Whit Really Worth?" and Specialty Hand Tools
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:42:34 -0800
This didn't get through the first time, so I've split this off as a separate
post :

> Any other useful specialty hand tools I should acquire?

Wow, that's an open-ended question !  If you're going to get into taps and dies,
then I would also recommend a dial caliper, thread gauge, and some eye loupes,
all for carefully checking what thread you have in hand.  There are some good
charts on the web that help a lot too, I've got them printed out and taped to
the wall above the lathe for reference.  An SAE thread gauge will do, but of
course it wouldn't hurt to have one for Whitworth.

8-point sockets, at least 1/4 and 7/16 with 5/16 a good idea.  Some people
prefer square opening wrenches, like the one that Joe Alexander sells, but I
prefer the sockets.

A set of Gear Wrenches (or maybe 2 or 3 different styles).  The 7/16" flat is
just the thing for removing the front apron.

For the 3A, you'll want the tool for removing the headlamp trim rings.

I definitely like the "SU tool kit", carry one with me.  Also a DVM and some
clip leads.  Don't forget the special wrench to turn the original jack, and
something to remove the hubcaps with.

Tools to turn the chrome bezels that hold the switches in the dash are nice, but
not essential.  I made my own, but there's a fellow that sells them on eBay from
time to time and they may be available from TRF et al.

If you're going to do the front suspension, you'll need the special spring
compressor.  Again I made my own with parts from Home Depot, but Moss & TRF also
sell them.

There are a couple of sizes of reamers required for overhauling various
components, but I don't recall the sizes offhand.  Might as well wait until you
need them anyway and just buy single sizes.  Stay away from the cheap
"adjustable" ones, but cheap fixed ones seem to work well for me.

Dial indicator with a magnetic base/stand is required for adjusting the steering
box, IMO.  (Under $25 for the set from Enco)

There's lots and lots more ... probably half of my rollaway is tools I've bought
or made just to work on LBCs.  But to some extent it makes more sense to wait
until you need the tool or at least are about to need it.  You can ask on the
list as you tackle each job and get better answers, IMO.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org