TR3 liners/pistons

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 liners/pistons
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 07:50:10 EST
I removed the pistons yesterday, 3 of 4 pistons had the rings all broke up
and 1 (front piston) had quite a bit of wear between the ring grooves, so much
so that the piston was starting to break up. Now that's worn. It seems to me
that these pistons and sleeves are original 83 mm, maybe never out before.
Which leads to the first question. The sleeves are stubborn to remove, the
books say to use a block of wood, ha ha, tried with a nice oak piece, just
splinters. I'm considering a brass drift and a soaking in oil and patience
(similar
to head removal). Any advise?
Second question, is British Parts NW and 87mm Mahle still the
vendor/manufacturer of choice with regard to replacement piston/liners.
And finally, thanks to all who had previously offered "loaner engines", I
have decided to rebuild this one.
Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)

===     http://www.vtr.org