RE: TR3 liners/pistons

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 liners/pistons
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:28:33 -0800
> I'm considering a brass drift and a soaking in oil and
> patience (similar
> to head removal). Any advise?

I'm not big on patience ... if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer !
My "brass drift" is a 10" by 1" iron water pipe nipple, with an iron cap on one
end (to beat on) and a hex brass cap on the other end.  (All components from
Home Depot)  Hit that with a 5 lb sledge, and something will move !

And remember, you don't care if the liner breaks.  But if they're the original
83s, they won't.  Bang on different spots around the bottom of the liner, when
you find one that moves a bit then switch to an opposite spot for the next blow.

Somewhere in my junk collection, there's a piston with the land between #1 and
#2 ring completely broken away. Preignition in just that cylinder, I believe.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org