Re: overdrive lube

To: Dave1massey@cs.com
Subject: Re: overdrive lube
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:29:08 -0700
Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/10/2005 4:28:22 PM Central Standard Time,
>tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
>

>>I know a retired college professor that insists "ain't" isn't a word too
>>but it's in common use, therefore it is a word, no matter what the
>>"authorities" say.
>>

>LOL.  My fourth grade teacher used to say "Ain't ain't in the dictionary so
>ain't ain't a word."  Well, guess what?  (Hint: look in your dictionary)
>
>Dave

While this is completely off-topic, it's within my range of knowledge.
"Ain't" does appear in most dictionaries today, because it's come into
common usage in most circles.  Lexicographers are notoriously slow to
include improper usage and/or slang because meanings change over time.
My favorite in this regard (I actually had to find the definition for
this for a graduate research course) is "lounge lizard."  Today, it's a
common slang term for a bad Las Vegas lounge act (or for fans of such),
but in the `20s, it described a certain type of fellow who hung around
the lobbies of women's hotels, looking for ladies of whom to take
advantage. :)

"Ain't" wasn't always in the dictionary, but it is now.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

===     http://www.vtr.org