Re: Italia

To: dougm1000@hotmail.com, tr3driver@comcast.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Italia
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:31:42 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Doug <dougm1000@hotmail.com>

 2 Triumph Italias for sale: TSF 530
 COLO ( last chassis sent by Triumph/
 Std to Italy to built as an Italia ) body #
 326, engine # TSF 498 E and TSF 512
 COLO body # 322. engine # TSF 401

  Since it seems that these numbers fit within the first series of the
TR3B it seems that these cars were pulled from the TR3B line. If that
is the case, then it seems that there must have been fewer TR3B's made
that 3,334 which are reported to have used the number sequence TSF1 -
TSF530 and TCF1 - TCF2804. This advertisement shows that at least
TSF530 and TSF512 never were TR3B's.

  If this logic is correct then I wonder how many real TR3B's were made?
Does anybody know how many TR3B chassis numbers were not made into
TR3B's?

==AM==
My understanding (and this has come from several sources I've read over
the years) is that around 50 of the TFS series TR3B numbers were, in
fact, chassis-only (complete with engine, etc., of course) numbers that
went to be built into Italias. Note that both of the above cars are TSF
series in both commission and engine number. This was the first series
of TR3B, still with the 1991cc engine but with the TR4 all-synchro
gearbox.

For the "numbers purists" among us, it's pretty neat that both cars
above still are "numbers matching" cars. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org