Re: TR4 fan Q2

To: mmarr@notwires.com, jgillis@tcd.ie, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 fan Q2
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:12:13 -0500
>Electric fans are designated as "pullers", which are mounted between the
>radiator and the engine, and "pushers", which are mounted in front of the
>radiator.  In both cases, they move air through the radiator towards the
>engine, thus aiding the natural movement of air.  For such fans, it is
>important to ensure that they are rotating in the correct direction,
>because a pusher can become a puller, albeit an inefficient one, when
>rotating backwards.

I have experimented with this. My old TR3 racecar had a "pusher" electric
fan. At driver's school it was overheating. I was in the paddock running the
fan with the engine stopped. Someone wearing shorts walked in front of the
car and felt hot air blowing on his legs. The PO had installed the fan to
blow away from the engine. The stock fan was still in place, so the two fans
were fighting each other. The fan motor must have a permanent magnet field,
because reversing the polarity of the input changed the direction of
rotation.

Ran a lot cooler after that!

John H.

===     http://www.vtr.org