Re: TR4 fan Q2

To: jgillis@tcd.ie, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 fan Q2
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:27:30 EST
In a message dated 11/7/2005 3:52:01 AM Central Standard Time, jgillis@tcd.ie
writes:
> Going on this thread it is suggested that the stock fan fitted
> correctly blows air in the direction of the engine. Am I just dim or
> is it not the purpose of the fan more to cool the water in the rad
> than cool the engine directly.?
> John
> -
The fan is set up to augment the natural air flow that occurs during vehicle
movement.  The fact that the air pulled through the radiator by the fan will
then impinge on the engine is strictly collateral.  In essence, the radiator is
positioned in the front of the engine bay to take advantage of the airflow
resulting from the forward movement of the car.  The fan is mounted behind the
radiator on the front engine where driving it with a belt is most convenient.

It was not the intent to try to cool the engine directly.  It doesn't work
very well anyway.

Cheers

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org