Re: TR4 hi-torque starter problem

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 hi-torque starter problem
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:48:04 -0800 (PST)
"J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net> wrote:

I've fitted a hi-torque starter to my completely rebuilt and balanced
TR4 engine. When I installed the ring gear on the Aluminum flywheel,
I installed it in the correct orientation for a Lucas starter, then
had the assembly balanced. Now I see that the gear should have been
installed "wrong way round" (tooth bevel facing forward) to mesh with
the new starter.

The starter pinion meshes well with the ring gear, but doesn't
disengage. So I guess it's meshing a bit too well.

Jim,

The ring gears on my engines have seen starters that go either way w/out
complaint.  I'd check your engagement.  I'm thinking that if your shims are
correct, you may need to move the starter away from the ring gear a bit (or
rotate out).  A little bit can make a big difference.

Charlie

===     http://www.vtr.org