RE: TR4 hi-torque starter problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 hi-torque starter problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 16:03:06 -0800
> I've fitted a hi-torque starter to my completely rebuilt and balanced
> TR4 engine.  When I installed the ring gear on the Aluminum flywheel,
> I installed it in the correct orientation for a Lucas starter, then
> had the assembly balanced.  Now I see that the gear should have been
> installed "wrong way round" (tooth bevel facing forward) to mesh with
> the new starter.

It actually shouldn't matter.  Since the gear-drive starter is a pre-engaged
design, it doesn't need the bevels for correct operation.  And it's designed to
go on without having the pull the transmission to turn the ring gear around.

> Before I cuss some more and remove the flywheel to remount the ring
> gear and hopefully be able to have it re-balanced, any thoughts?

Sounds to me like the starter is mounted just a little bit too close to the ring
gear, or perhaps has an oversize pinion on it or is at an angle for some reason
(not seated right against the block).  Might be the ring gear itself, too.
Either way, I doubt turning the ring gear over is going to fix the problem.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org